After an employee completes employee orientation and training, it is important to include some sort of competency evaluation. Employers should make a checklist of skills/tasks they wish employees to be able to complete before working on their own, and they should follow-up by validating that the employee can complete all skills/tasks.
Annual reviews are used by employers to evaluate and give feedback to employees and determine salary adjustments. Annual reviews are generally conducted individually but can also include peer-to-peer evaluation tools or feedback from subordinates within an organization.
A detailed and thorough job evaluation should include:
- Review of job description
- Review of evaluation outline
- Review of goals outlined for evaluation
- Review metrics or performance data
- Focus on all areas of the employees performance, not just areas needing improvement